Vocal Student’s Instructions 2024
The Vocal competition will be held Friday, April 12 at the Margaret Carpenter Recreation Center (Thornton), 11151 Colorado Blvd. To participate, students need to meet the eligibility requirements listed under the Program Overview. Carefully read the following guidelines to enter the Festival. The registration deadline is April 1, with late registration ending April 3. The registration link is at the bottom of this page.
The goal of the vocal competition is to nurture young vocal students by providing an opportunity to perform, receive professional critique, and be honored through scholarships.
- All vocalists are required to prepare solos of quality literature and to perform selected music as written. Highly-edited arrangements require accurate classical interpretations.
- The first selection should be a folk song, art song or opera presentation and should be performed in the classical style. Overt dramatic gestures are not permitted for this selection.
- The second selection — Disney, musical theater, foreign language or Gilbert and Sullivan — may contain dramatic interpretation and gestures. Props are not allowed. Music representing pop culture is also not acceptable.
- Senior Vocal Requirements are different than other divisions – see below for more details.
- Memorization is required.
- Students must limit their performance to 10 minutes. Should a student’s performance exceed 10 minutes, they will be asked to stop.
- Students are required to furnish their own piano accompanist. We recommend that teachers do not accompany their own students. CDs are not permitted. Any variation of this requirement must be approved by administrators.
Junior Division (ages 8-12): Students are required to prepare two songs of contrasting styles and musical periods.
- A folksong or art song performed in classical style
- A musical theater selection or a song from the Disney Musical repertoire
Intermediate Division (ages 13-14): Students are required to prepare two songs of contrasting styles and musical periods.
- Either an English or foreign art song, or a classically set folk song
- A musical theater selection or Gilbert and Sullivan
Senior Division (ages 15-18):
Students are required to prepare three songs of contrasting styles and musical periods. Vocalists will perform two selections. The student will choose the first selection to be performed and a judge will choose the second selection.
1. An Italian art song or aria
2. A foreign language art song or aria, original language
3. A musical theater selection from Broadway Musical Repertoire or Gilbert and Sullivan.
Registration Fees are $45.00 by April 1 with late fees accepted by April 3 in the amount of $65.00
All students will perform for a panel of judges during public recitals on April 12, 2024 at the Margaret Carpenter Recreation Center. Teachers, family and friends are welcome to attend at no cost. Performance order will be determined by random draw. The competition will be judged on musicianship, technique, presentation, communication, and accuracy.
Performance orders and times will be posted on the web after registration is closed. This is a professional event and concert attire is appropriate. As much as possible, please be in the performance room at the beginning of your division. Students enter the stage by an announced performance number. Do not say your name, school, or give any other information when you take the stage. At the end of your performance you may bow and indicate to your accompanist to bow as well.
Seniors: 1st place: $400.00
2nd place: $200.00
3rd place: $100.00
Intermediate: 1st place: $200.00
2nd place: $100.00
3rd place: $75.00
Junior: 1st place: $100.00
2nd place: $50.00
3rd place: $25.00
Award winners will be posted on the web site on the Saturday after the competition. Award winners will receive scholarships by mail. Funds are to be used to advance your study of the arts. Questions: Call Rosalie Keith, 303-457-2289 email@example.com
Register for the Vocal Competition by clicking HERE